The cost of worry.

I'm not sure if its the time change or the Terminator movie I saw on Saturday. Maybe I can blame it on the time change or something else but I am tired. Tired of fretting, tired of having thoughts that are constantly cycling around and around without actually going down the darn drain. So getting up this morning was not a happy thought but I did it anyway. And right at 6 am.

Since I was already up it was easy enough to get going and sure enough, found myself at work at the church right around 7:30 am and here is where I will be for the rest of the day. The blessing for Monday is, of course, starting with our men's bible study. The conversation this morning was what we consider authoritative in our understanding of faith and as expected, the conversation was all over the map. While this might be daunting for some groups, this has been the blessing of the men who are attending the study. We have reached that place of acceptance with each other and are doing a remarkable job of receiving each other in the place that we are actually at. We have people in recovery, with families, older, younger, white and not so much and in this brief time on Monday I take my Sunday sojourning and make it my reality for at least the work week ahead of me.

This morning was doubly blessed because one of the men who attends regularly had some extra time and we had a chance to sit down and talk. He's a man whose faith impresses me so the chance to get to know him better was a no-brainer. Talking to my friend Abe and then being joined by our friend Nate gave the three of us a chance to unpack the morning and dive into a brand new conversation and reminded me of why I am here and why I've stayed lo these many years. Calvary Presbyterian Church has been my church for almost 30 years but really is more of a home than anything else. As scripture reminds us on Matthew 6:21, "where your treasure is, there also will be your heart".

Selah.

Comments

Popular Posts